As many of you know, homeopathy has been the focus of my medical practice for over 25 years. It’s a system of medicine I’ve seen do remarkable things for patients just born to those very late in life.
Here are seven great reasons to add it to your family’s healthcare:
1. It works. There have been over 6,000 papers published on the usefulness of homeopathy in just the last 30 years. What’s more, the higher the quality of a study, the better the results for homeopathy. Homeopathy has been in wide use around the world for over 200 years. Perhaps the clearest evidence homeopathy works… it’s now estimated that approximately 250,000 physicians and over 500 million people use it worldwide.
2. It’s gentle. Because homeopathic remedies are made from ultra-dilutions of substances found in nature, their effects are gentle enough for newborns as well as the frailest of our elderly family members.
3. It’s safe. Homeopathy has a safety record unparalleled in medicine. A systematic review of the safety of homeopathy, which included a comprehensive search of the English-language literature and enquiries with regulatory authorities, including FDA, concluded: “Homeopathic medicines may provoke adverse effects, but these are generally mild and transient; there are cases of 'mistaken identity' where herbal medicines were [erroneously] described as homeopathic.
4. It’s green - very green. In 2008, the Associated Press found an array of pharmaceuticals, from pain killers to antibiotics to mood stabilizers, in the drinking water of 24 major metropolitan water suppliers. The problem has grown worse since that time. Because of the way homeopathic remedies are made, they do not produce toxic wastewater. They are non-toxic to humans and to our environment. And our remedies don’t encourage the very real and dangerous problem of antibiotic resistance.
5. The remedies are made from substances occurring in nature. Every single remedy in homeopathy is made from a naturally occurring substance including plants, animals and minerals.
6. It’s inexpensive. An economic analysis in France looked at three types of cost: consultation, prescription and total costs. The overall health expenditure was 20% less for patients consulting homeopathic family physicians in France compared to conventional family physicians ($78.70 US vs. $98.91 US). The lower cost of medical prescriptions for homeopathic family physicians was partially offset by higher consultation costs. Homeopathic physicians prescribed far fewer psychotropics, antibiotics and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
In each comparative effectiveness study of homeopathy, its integration into health care resulted in better outcomes for patients, with improved safety. Those that included cost-effectiveness analysis showed no additional cost, or even reduced costs.
7. It works with your body to stimulate a healing response rather than suppressing symptoms. You may have noticed that many ordinary drugs are termed anti-something. Anti-histamines, anti-inflammatory, anti-biotics, antacids, anti-depressants, etc. They’re labeled as such because they work to suppress the symptoms that form the basis of your body’s response to illness. Homeopathy is very different. When one takes a well selected homeopathic remedy, that remedy triggers a response in the body that encourages the body to self-regulate and correct whatever imbalance is the cause of its discomfort.
In my experience, there really is nothing like homeopathy. Samuel Hahnemann’s discovery 200 years ago is indeed a gift to humankind and something every family should use.
* As with any medical condition, consult with your physician if you have any concerns about the severity of your problem as it may first require medical diagnosis and/or intervention and monitoring.
About Dr. Lisa Samet:
Dr. Lisa Samet N.D. provides Washington Homeopathic Products with a regular column on using homeopathy for the family. She's a naturopathic physician who specializes in homeopathic medicine and she's a partner with Dr. Andre Saine N.D. Dr. Samet graduated from the Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine in 1998 and has been practicing in Montreal since then. She was born and raised in New York.
Dr. Samet has chosen to focus on homeopathy because in her experience it is the deepest healing modality available in that it does not just soothe or palliate symptoms but can actually stimulate the body to start to heal itself. Dr. Samet sees patients in her Montreal office as well as long distance using Skype. Learn more here: Dr. Lisa Samet. You can follow her on Facebook as well.
Hahn, R. Homeopathy: Meta-Analyses of Pooled Clinical Data. Forsch Komplementmed 2013;20:376–38
Dantas F, Rampes H (2000). Do homeopathic medicines provoke adverse effects? A systematic review. Br Homeopath J. 89:S35–38.