How do I know if my remedy is working? I hear that question a lot from those new to homeopathy (and even a few old hands).
It’s actually a great question!
Here are a few examples of what you may experience after taking a remedy for an acute ailment:
- You may begin to feel better emotionally. Though your physical symptoms may not yet be better, you notice your attitude is better, or perhaps your irritability or anxiety has lessened. You may not be able to put your finger on it, but you decide you just feel better.
- You may find yourself feeling sleepy and you do in fact fall into a restful sleep for a period of time.
- You feel your posture relax and have a physical sense of “well-being.”
- If you are a parent, you may notice your child’s body language improve.
- Your fever may begin to drop or your breathing may become a bit easier even before your main complaint begins to improve.
- Discharges such as expectoration or nasal secretions flow more easily.
- And finally, your chief complaint (the main reason for taking the remedy) shows improvement.
Why is this information important?
Well, it’s often the case that when someone is using homeopathy on themselves or a family member, impatience with the rate of improvement of an ailment and uncertainty can lead to switching remedies too quickly.
A helpful remedy is abandoned when more time would have brought meaningful relief.
Patience and close observation.
There are also numerous times, especially while first learning, when the incorrect remedy is chosen and a better match is required before progress is made. It’s my hope that this article will help you recognize when you have a remedy that is a good one, but may need more time to produce helpful results.
One more tip: if you are seeing meaningful improvement, stop dosing and wait and only resume dosing if progress stalls or you begin to feel worse again. It’s often the case with an acute ailment that multiple doses of a remedy are needed before a case is resolved.
And finally, remember, with any medical condition, consult with your physician if you have any concerns about the severity of the problem as it may first require medical diagnosis and/or intervention and monitoring.
Dr. Lisa Samet N.D. is an exceptional homeopath who provides Washington Homeopathic Products with a regular column on using homeopathy for the family. She's a naturopathic physician who specializes in homeopathic medicine and she's a partner with Dr. Andre Saine N.D. She is perhaps best known as a guest expert on homeopathy used by Dr. Mehmet Oz M.D. on the popular TV program - the Dr. Oz Show. Dr. Samet graduated from the Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine in 1998 and has been practicing in Montreal since then. She was born and raised in New York.
Dr. Samet has chosen to focus on homeopathy because in her experience it is the deepest healing modality available in that it does not just soothe or palliate symptoms but can actually stimulate the body to start to heal itself. Dr. Samet sees patients in her Montreal office as well as long distance using Skype. Learn more here: Dr. Lisa Samet.You can follow her on Facebook as well.