Nothing, and I mean nothing, is worse than the feeling one gets with motion sickness. The nausea and vomiting can be perfectly deadly.
Motion sickness, also referred to as sea sickness or car sickness, is a very common disturbance of the inner ear that is caused by repeated motion. In addition to nausea and vomiting, symptoms can include dizziness and sweating as well.
Luckily, homeopathy can really help and here is a list of a few remedies to consider:
- Bryonia: Nausea and faintness on rising up often with irritability. Motion of any kind makes nausea worse.
- Cocculus: Dizziness and nausea when riding or sitting up with a strong desire to lie down. The symptoms are worse from watching moving objects or from seeing or smelling food and in open air. There may be a desire for cold drinks.
- Nux vomica: Irritability. Severe nausea, though at times there is difficulty vomiting. There may be an intense headache at the back of the head or over both eyes. The patient feels chilly and can be worse from the smell of food, tobacco, and coffee.
- Petroleum: Dizziness on rising. Persistent nausea with excessive salivation and stomach pain which is worse from passive motion, like riding in a car. Patient can complain of pain and stiffness in the neck. May feel better lying with the head high and from warmth.
- Sepia: Painful sensation of emptiness in pit of the stomach accompanies nausea. Faintness. Nausea often better from eating, worse in morning before breakfast.
- Tabacum: Dizziness on opening the eyes. Incessant nausea that is worse from the smell of tobacco smoke. There can be vomiting on the least motion, and there is often a terrible faint, sinking feeling at pit of stomach. The patient is often very pale and wants the abdomen uncovered as that lessens the nausea and vomiting. Feels better in fresh air.
So enjoy your trip knowing homeopathy can help. And remember, the key to choosing the correct remedy is ALWAYS the same. Match the characteristic symptoms of the patient to the characteristic symptoms produced by our many remedies by choosing the remedy with the most similar characteristics and you will have a happy outcome every time. As with any medical condition, consult with your physician if you have any concerns about the severity of your illness as it may first require medical diagnosis and/or intervention and monitoring.
About Dr. Lisa Samet:
Dr. Lisa Samet N.D. provides Washington Homeopathic Products with a weekly column on using homeopathy for the family. She's a naturopathic physician who specializes in homeopathic medicine and she's a partner with Dr. Andre Saine N.D. Dr. Samet graduated from the Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine in 1998 and has been practicing in Montreal since then. She was born and raised in New York.
Dr. Samet has chosen to focus on homeopathy because in her experience it is the deepest healing modality available in that it does not just soothe or palliate symptoms but can actually stimulate the body to start to heal itself. Dr. Samet sees patients in her Montreal office as well as long distance using Skype. Learn more here: Dr. Lisa Samet. You can follow her on Facebook as well.