Are you a person who suffers with frequent sore throats – or has a family member who does? Well homeopathy can really help.
Here is a list of the most common homeopathic remedies to consider the next time you or a family member are suffering:
- Aconite: This homeopathic remedy is commonly called for when you have sudden onset of pain, especially following exposure to cold, windy weather. The throat is often very red with burning, smarting and dryness. Can also have a high fever with a terrific thirst for cold water. Especially in children, there can be fear and restlessness.
- Belladonna: This homeopathic remedy is frequently called for when treating sore throats. The throat is often bright red and worse on the right side. The throat feels very dry. The typical Belladonna patient has a high fever with a red face, large pupils, hot dry head, cold hands and feet, and seem "out of it”. It is also a "sudden onset” remedy.
- Lachesis: Patients requiring this homeopathic remedy commonly have a sore throat that is worse on the left side and can move from left to right. The throat can be a bluish- red color with pain that is raw or burning. Typically worse during or after sleep. Oddly the patient can swallow solids more easily than liquids and has an aversion to hot drinks and any pressure or clothing around the throat.
- Lycopodium: Patients requiring this remedy typically have a sore throat that begins on the right side – and may extend to the left side – the opposite of Lachesis. This patient tends to feel worse from 4-8PM. Unlike Lachesis – this patient is better from drinking fluids – particularly fluids that are warm. The mood may be quite irritable.
- Mercurius: A patient needing this homeopathic remedy typically has smarting and a raw throat and there is great thirst with more saliva than usual. The smell coming from the patient’s mouth can be strong and unpleasant. Often worse at night. Often sweaty.
- Hepar Sulph: This homeopathic remedy is often called for when swallowing sends stitching pain up to the ear. Pain is much worse from anything cold – cold air, cold drinks. Patient is very sensitive to the pain and irritable from it.
Remember - the key to choosing the correct/helpful remedy is ALWAYS the same. One must match the “characteristic symptoms” (ie, unusual or peculiar) of the person you are caring for to a remedy capable of producing similar characteristic symptoms to have success. If you choose a remedy with characteristics most similar to the characteristic symptoms of your patient, you should have a happy outcome every time. If you don't - you or they will either feel no effect, or one that is mildly positive at best, but there is never a bad effect from choosing the “wrong” remedy.
Dose with either a 30C or 200C potency to start - placing one pellet under the tongue or one pellet in water, stirring vigorously and taking teaspoon doses as needed. Always cease dosing when relief begins and only redose if symptoms again worsen. As with any medical condition, consult with your physician if you have any concerns about the severity of your illness as it may first require medical diagnosis and/or intervention and monitoring.
About Dr. Lisa Samet
Dr. Lisa Samet N.D. provides Washington Homeopathic Products with a weekly column on using homeopathy for the family. She's a naturopathic physician who specializes in homeopathic medicine and she's a partner with Dr. Andre Saine N.D. She is perhaps best known as a guest expert on homeopathy used by Dr. Mehmet Oz M.D. on the popular TV program - the Dr. Oz Show. Dr. Samet graduated from the Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine in 1998 and has been practicing in Montreal since then. She was born and raised in New York.
Dr. Samet has chosen to focus on homeopathy because in her experience it is the deepest healing modality available in that it does not just soothe or palliate symptoms but can actually stimulate the body to start to heal itself. Dr. Samet sees patients in her Montreal office as well as long distance using Skype. Learn more here: Dr. Lisa Samet